Monday, September 14, 2009

Penn West Energy Trust 3

I have again updated my spreadsheet on this stock (TSX-PWT.UN; NYSE-PWE) today. The problem with the spreadsheet I put up on Friday is that it showed mostly figures from Petrofund into Penn West. However, I updated some figures to show Maximum Trust to Petrofund to Penn West. I have now corrected this.

I have left the Maximum Trust to Petrofund to Penn West for new sections on only what dividends I received and for what the year end stock value were. The rest of the figures now only show the transition of Petrofund into Penn West. The Penn West Trust has grown by taking in other funds. So, if you have this stock, the stock would have had a past history, and I think that one past history is as good as any other. The problem is that depending on what past history you use, you could materially affect what you show for long term earnings and values.

There is no way of getting around the above problems. However, being aware of what the spreadsheet is showing is required. The other thing, of course, is that past history is no guide to the future. However, comparing the past of different stocks may give you an idea how a stock could do relative to other stocks in the future. When I look at a stock, I look at the past, the present, and the future. The past you can know. The present is often, but not always, knowable. The future is any ones guess, but the past can guide you on what is possible.

It is the largest conventional oil and natural gas producing trust in North America. They operate only in Alberta. Its web site is www.pennwest.com. See my spreadsheet at www.spbrunner.com/stocks/pwt.htm.

This blog is meant for educational purposes only, and is not to provide investment advice. Before making any investment decision, you should always do your own research or consult an investment professional. See my website at www.spbrunner.com/stocks.html for a list of the stocks for which I have put up spreadsheets.

No comments:

Post a Comment