Wednesday, January 14, 2009

McCoy Corp and Pulse Data Inc

It seemed best today to continue with what I started yesterday, rather than start something new. As I said yesterday, I went to the Globe and Mail site of www.globeinvestor.com/ and from Globe Investor section I selected the Stock Filter. I asked for companies that were worth between $1 and $5.50 and had a yield between 4% and 20. I narrowed the list to 5. They were Matrikon Inc (TSX-MTK), McCoy (TSX-MCB), Pulse Data (TSX-PSD), Amica Mature Lifestyles (TSX-ACC) and Student Transport of America (TSX-STB).

Amica Mature Lifestyles is luxury housing and services for people retiring. It is into real estate property management. Real Estate is not a great place to be at the moment. For the fiscal year ending in May 2009, it is expected that the earnings will be $.16 down from May 2009 of $.29. It is expected that the May 2010 will be down again, to $.13. However, the dividend on the stock was increased 20% between May 2007 and May 2008 year ends. I think that baby boomers are not going to go to Old Age Homes as our parents did. This may be a good stock to watch.

For Student Transport of America, over the last 3 years their revenues and dividends have gone up. However, they have not earned a profit for the last 3 years. This is a 4 star company, so I will like to take another look at it when the economic climate has improved. There is a Buy rating on this stock. However, I am not about to buy a stock when it has no earnings for 3 years.

The McCoy Corporation has three main operating segments of Energy Products & Services, Trailer Manufacturing and Truck & Trailer Products & Services. Its web site is www.mccoycorporation.ca. I will put up its spreadsheet at www.spbrunner.com/stocks/mcb.htm. Some people have a Buy rating on this stock and some have a Hold rating. I notice there lots of insider buying on this stock. However, there is expectation that the earnings are going nowhere over the next 2 years. I will finish off this spreadsheet in the future and repost it.

Pulse Data Inc. is a provider of 2D and 3D seismic library data and is based in Calgary, Alberta. Pulse owns the second-largest licensable seismic data library in western Canada. Pulse’s 2D and 3D seismic data library extends over the Western Canada Sedimentary Basin, plus selected areas of the U.S. Rocky Mountains region and northern Canada, with a particular focus on active exploration areas. Its web site is www.pulsedatainc.com. See my spreadsheet at www.spbrunner.com/stocks/psd.htm. It has not made any earnings over the last 2 years and its revenue has been going down for the last 3 years. Its dividend performance has not been bad and the Accrual Ratio is very good at -6.5%. There is also some insider buying here as well. I also notice that it has Buy ratings.

Matrikon Inc. is engaged in the sale of software and information technology professional services to industrial facilities. Its web site is www.matrikon.com. See my spreadsheet at www.spbrunner.com/stocks/mtk.htm. The last thing I should say on this stock is that there has been lots of insider buying on this stock, especially under the price of $2.50.

This blog is meant for educational purposes only, and is not to provide investment advice. Before making any investment decision, you should always do your own research or consult an investment professional. See my website at www.spbrunner.com/stocks.html for a list of the stocks for which I have put up spreadsheets on my web site.

No comments:

Post a Comment